such a refreshing take, not without great wit and humor, on the subaltern, and the history and politics of ID. it’s fun to speculate, wildly perhaps, that the ‘Your’ of the title takes an aim at the Ludwig Göransson/Kendrick Lamar composition/production of soundtrack, Black Panther: The Album, which was released on February 9, 2018; while, Son’s of Kemet release this album a month later, in March. But alas, this fantasy falls quickly to the more obvious postcolonial reference – Your Queen is obviously Elizabeth the second, with the added reference to the lizard people of the reptilian conspiracy theory of David Icke in which shapeshifting aliens assume human form and rule the earth. To state the obvious then: Queen Elizabeth is an Icke-ian alien, thereby reversing the POV of the colonists narrative. “My Queens” are antidotes to that, or, are they?
- “My Queen Is Ada Eastman” – 6:41
- “My Queen Is Mamie Phipps Clark” – 5:31
- “My Queen Is Harriet Tubman” – 5:40
- “My Queen Is Anna Julia Cooper” – 5:07
- “My Queen Is Angela Davis” – 6:35
- “My Queen Is Nanny of the Maroons” – 6:44
- “My Queen Is Yaa Asantewaa” – 7:04
- “My Queen Is Albertina Sisulu” – 5:20
- “My Queen Is Doreen Lawrence” – 6:52
note: Ada Eastman, was Hutchings’s great grandmother from Barbados.